Find Help

Permit Help: 

Many activities along inland lake shorelines require a permit. This helps to limit impacts on lakes.

Generally,  activities within 500 feet of the shoreline, or that are likely to disturb more than one acre require a permit. For more information on permitting check with the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy's (EGLE) Water Resources Division, your local Soil Erosion Permitting agency and your local ordinances.

 MNSP Website Permitting Information

 EGLE Inland Lakes and Streams  

EGLE Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Program

Local Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Agencies

Contractor Help:dsc_8483.jpg

The MNSP trains contractors that work at the shoreline in lake friendly erosion control bio-engineered techniques.  To become a Certified Natural Shoreline Professional (CNSP) contractors must complete two days of in class instruction, a field exercise and pass an exam.  For more information on the contractor training program and a list of contractors see the MNSP website.

 MNSP Certified Natural Shoreline Professionals

Native Plant Options:

The MNSP has also created a list of recommended native plants to be used on shoreland property based on where the plants would be most successful. Also on the MNSP website is information on some options for purchasing native plants. 

Native Plants for the Shore Information